WA vs NSW 1’s – Game 1

Both teams coming off strong performances on day 1 and  looked to  cement their spot as the team to beat in this year’s competition. The ACT side had the best defence on day one and NSW had the sharpest looking attack so the match was sure not to disappoint. ACT’S defence was strong in the opening minutes and forced many errors much to the disappointment of the NSW backline who were itching for ball. Brendan Jimenez opened the scoring for the boys from Canberra crossing over from a well worked set piece down the right hand side of the park. New South Wales would level the scores only minutes later when Scots College prodgies Charlie Savala and Seb Strang connected for a well worked try the scores are locked at 7 all. Matt Dutaillis would give the boys in blue the lead before the half after capitalising  down the left side after a strong run from Thomas Lambert who is having a very strong performance, 14-7.The lead would shortly extend for NSW as Fred Tricks would add to his tally scoring in the corner, the half time score stands at 21-7 in favour of NSW.

The second half was an arm wrestle for the opening minutes with NSW holding the majority of the possession and forced the ACT side to be undisciplined at the break down and not trusting their attack NSW pointed to the sticks and added 3 points to their ever growing lead. Zane Hogan closed the gap on the score line crossing over from a strong driving maul  the Canberra boys are starting to look a lot more confident. John Connolly crossed over cementing the lead for NSW in the right hand corner 31-12.Apenis Driti provided hope in attack with strong line breaks leading to a brilliant try beating defenders left right and centre. Jack Mossman would seal the game scoring an aerial try in the corner showing how strong the depth in New South Wales for outside backs is at the moment final score 41-19 in favour of NSW.

QLD 1 VS Combined States – Game 2


Queensland 1’s would take on a strong Combined states team who were out to scalp a win against one of the top teams in the competition. The game started very physical at the breakdown with both sides matching each other in size and strength. Carter Gordon led his backline well through the early stages of the game and put his team on the board off his boot due to a lack of discipline at the breakdown from the combined states. Queensland started to put to work a tiring Combined states backline and gained quality metres. Rihan Stwoers was carving his way through the field and brought up the first try of the match giving the Queensland boys satisfaction in their hard work. Carter Gordon would add to the their lead minutes later stepping his way through the defence to run under the posts. The try of the day would come right before the half when well known Nudgee College star Jangala Bennet ran half the field weaving in and out of defenders to cross over the line. The score at the half 15-0 in favour of Queensland.

The second half was similar to that of first both team struggled to break each other’s defensive line Glen Vaihu did his best to break the line and gained some quality metres in doing so. Zane Noggor barged over on the left side of the field for five points and another try to add to his tally for the tournament Queensland looked sharp in attack for the rest of the half and wingers Jangala Bennett and Glen Vaihu made their claims for a position in the Australian side with their attacking efforts. Scrum-Half Nick Murray did his best when coming on for the Combined States to get them on the board but Queensland outclassed their opposition in all aspects of the game. Final score 29-0

QLD 2 vs Victoria – Game 3

A match that both teams were looking for a win to cement themselves in a strong position going into day 3.Victoria opened the match strong in attack, for the opening few minutes Queensland were on the back foot. Queensland were able to hold them off for a period of time but Fullback Haloti Fonua stepped his way through Maroon defence to open the Victorians account for the day. Victoria didn’t stop with their fast and strong attacking game spearheaded by Melbourne Rebels centre Sione Tuipulotu’s brother Mosese who gained strong metres helping keep his teams momentum strong. Queensland Flanker Ben Geragthy did his best to stop Victorian momentum providing a small brick wall in defence helping keep the opposition out going into half time. Half Time 7-0 to the Victorians.

The second half was an open game of rugby Nicholas Roosten ran through to take Victoria’s lead out to 12 early in the half and many thought that could be the game. Queensland did their best to reach the line but Charlie Carter did his best to keep them out. The break through finally came for the Queenslanders from Jp Tominiko who crashed over helping close the gap to 5 points. Queensland would shortly take the lead off the Victorians when William Kirk capitalised off a strong run from Jordan Carrier with only 10 minutes remaining. Victoria didn’t looked fazed and dug deep to send Aukisitino Hunt over with minutes remaining Victoria had a slim lead. Queensland responded quickly when Joshua Flook scored down the left wing out pacing fullback to Haloti Fonua to give Queensland the lead back with not long reaming 21-20. Haloti Fonua pointed to the sticks for his southern counterparts after an ill disciplined Queensland were penalised at the ruck, adding a valuable 3 points to take back the lead. Victoria’s defence was unmatched in the dying minutes of the game and Queensland couldn’t handle it. Victoria prevailed in their first win of the tournament and match to remember. Final Score 23-21

WA vs NSW 2 – Game 4

NSW 2’s have looked very strong this year and head into this match off the back of a strong victory over combined states, they had the momentum heading into their clash against WA who struggled against a strong Queensland side on day one. The matched opened with Western Australian being able to contain NSW outside backs quiet for the early stages of the match. The breakthrough came from Faiva Faiva after receiving a crisp inside ball from Five Eight Vincent Creagh who had started the match strong. NSW shortly extended their lead through Vincent Creagh who took on 4 defenders driving across the line to push the lead out to 12 points. The NSW backline threw everything they could at Western Australia but couldn’t break through a defence that has drastically improved from day 1. Half Time 12-0

The start of the second half was all New South Wales they spent the majority of the opening stages locked inside their attacking 22. After enjoying working out a tiring WA defence, James Sinclair stopped NSW in their tracks. Winiata Cheerrinton gained quality metres for WA down the right wing and Alexander Masibaka charged over the line closing the gap on the score to 12-7 with 10 minutes remaining. Outside Centre Angus Bell crossed over for NSW extending their lead with not long remaining in the match the Western Australian defence is starting to seem depleted. New South wales ran in three late tries sealing the match for a team that had to play at their best to beat a strong and much improved Western Australian outfit. Final Score 34-7



Comments are closed.