Schools Tri-Nations
Australian Barbarians vs. Tongan Schools
6/10/18 3:30pm
Ballymore Stadium

By Angus Rowan

It’s wet weather for the final Barbarian’s match against a hopeful Tongan side, who put the Australian Schools to the test at Gregory Terrace on Monday. A kicking game was key early on with the Barbarians looking to apply pressure through the boot of flyhalf Matt Minogue.

Winger Fred tricks would open the scoring for the Barbarian side down the right edge to take the score to 7-0.

Matt Duttalis, would quickly run in another for the Barbarians beating defenders down the left wing to take the score out to 12-0. Back Rower Brett Wellington, defence was a major part of his sides success early on, keeping the Tongans on the backfoot.

The Barbarians found strong territory through Jangala Bennet helping his side to find themselves only five metres out, the ball was spread wide and Winger Fred Tricks would cross in the corner from a quality pass by Centre Vincent Creagh, 19-0.

Not long later the Barbarians found themselves deep in the Tongan attacking half and captain Vincent Creagh went himself carrying his opposing players across the right edge to score, 24-0. Outside Centre Dennis Waight, was a threat in attack for the Barbarians gaining metres every time he would touch the ball.

Under pressure Tonga started to lose their composure and a penalty for offside was awarded, Halfback David Tejcek took the quick tap to squeeze through the line and score his first for the day, score 31-0. With minutes remaining in the half Winger Matt Dutallis, would score his second for the day taking on the line beating two defenders to score, 36-0.

Zane Nonggor would go on to score the try of the day driving his legs to carry seven Tongan players upwards of ten metres over the line to take the half time score out to 43-0.

The Barbarians would start the second half hot in attack, Tonga would eventually strip the ball on their line but Flanker Zac Barnabas, would become a thief in the night stripping it back to place the ball down for a five pointer, 50-0.

Brett Wellington, would add to the score line capitalising off a well set rolling maul driving over the line to take the score out to 55-0.

Tonga would finally get on the scoreboard after a build-up of pressure, the Barbarians defence started to weaken, Tu’ikupalau Filmoehala would drive over from the ruck to take the score to 57-5 with ten minutes remaining.

Haloti Fanua would then run in for his first for the match, chasing down a grubber from his playmaker to dot it down within inches of the dead ball line, 64-5.

The Tongans never gave up and Viliami Mafua would add to his teams deficit by scoring from inches out, 64-10. The final points would come from a Tongan side who were full of confidence when Scrumhalf Lemisio Moala, ran down the left wing beating three Barbarian players to take the final score to 64-15.

Australian Schoolboys vs New Zealand Schoolboys
6/10/18 5:00pm
Ballymore Stadium
By Angus Rowan

The match started with the rain not making the early stages ideal for either side, who’s outside backs struggled to receive solid ball. The breakdown and scrum was a talking point as they battled each other to seek possession with the New Zealanders coming out on top for the majority.

New Zealand would eventually be rewarded for keeping the Aussies at bay as Patrick Thacker barged over from metres out,7-0. Carter Gordon struggled with the condition’s sending attacking opportunities begging, not helping his sides confidence.

Flanker Luca Moretti, was a menace in defence helping keep the New Zealanders from adding to their score. New Zealand Fullback Blair Murray, showed the Ballymore crowd why many consider him the next Damien McKenzie with his attacking flair being hard to maintain down the right edge.

A turnover late in the half by Luke Reimer, gave the Australians some much needed confidence. Australia were to end the last parts of the half with many opportunities to add points off the boot but decided to attack the line. They were to rue these decisions as they came up short ending the half 7-0 in favour of the visitors.

The start of the second half was similar to that of the first the wet conditions didn’t help the teams with handling errors keeping the game in a stalemate. The New Zealanders looked to add more points as they opened up attacking space down the left wing but would leave without any points, as a knock on would help the Australians get out of trouble.

New Zealand would eventually score after Flyhalf Rivez Reihana, pounced on an Australian mistake to run in down the right wing,12-0. Another try to a strong New Zealand forward pack who utilised their driving maul, Tamati Williams spun over and the score was pushed out to 19-0.

Australia would finally register their first points of the match after a rolling maul that was carried close to 20 metres with Luke Reimer running it over 19-7.

Australia would soon find themselves in a strong attacking position and newly subbed Second Rower Jeremy Williams tricked even his own team to reach into the ruck with one hand and dive across the line, 19-12 with not long remaining.
Blair Murray would seal the match for New Zealand after receiving a brilliant cut out pass to run in and take the final score out to 24-12. Australia had the opportunities but struggled to convert when it mattered, a class showing from both sides and a deserved victory to New Zealand.

Comments are closed.